[ingo] Required backend for Ingo

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at dada.net
Tue Apr 27 17:31:08 UTC 2010

Your choice - though it works for me.

> > There's nothing in the documentation about my MDA (which is not a
> > completely unknown one) that I can find.  If it's there, can you
> point
> > me to it?  If not, can give me a rough example I can extrapolate
> from
> > to make this work?  I'm not asking you to actually provide the
> code,
> > just give me the tools to help myself.  I'd appreciate that.
>
> The MDA part is up to you to setup so it is not possible to list all
> possible combinations of MTA (Mailserver), MDA (deliver mail from MTA
> to mailstore) and Mailstore/IMAP+POP3 Server.

I understand - though "Cyrus IMAP" has 157000 hits on Google and "Courier IMAP" has 239000 so it would be nice if you could support this popular MDA at some stage.  Of course, it's impossible to support all MDAs and configs - I understand that.

> If you are using Postfix as MTA you use "local" most of the time to
> store the mail in the courier mailbox files. With this you have no
> way of filtering/forwarding etc. because "local" has no interface for
> that. That's why many people use something like procmail and others
> which are feed by pipe.
>
> As said i don't know Courier because we use Cyrus/Sieve since ages
> but you can have a look at maildrop from courier MTA which should be
> able to do something like this (http://www.courier-
> mta.org/maildrop/).

Thanks - that's helpful.  I appreciate it.  I'll look into adding Maildrop to the system, but it's a live one and hopefully I don't foobar it :)  Most of the howtos cover building it in from the beginning.  Thanks for the great product.

Simon