[jonah] updates to jonah

Marko Djukic marko at oblo.com
Mon Apr 28 21:42:03 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:
>
> > - news now has a single backend object which handles both external and
> > internally authored channels. /jonah/config/channels.php is no longer
> needed,
> > everything is stored in the backend.
>
> Can't we make a "channels.php" backend for this?  Or is your backend layout
> incompatible with text file or php file backends?

in essence it's the same thing, only in sql. but how worth it would a
channels.php be?

> > - only Horde Admin has access to the setup of channels into the backend AND
> > the authoring of internal channels.
>
> While I suppose I could live with this for now, and it is probably better
> than just letting anyone write channels, most of us need something in
> between.

i agree. i want to take it in that direction.

> > the implications following all of this:
> > - any channels listed in the /config/channels.php file will need to be
> moved
> > the backend (any offers for a quick script to do this? i'll try and get to
> it
> > myself otherwise)
>
> How do we manage updates to the channels provided with jonah then?  In
> particular deletes, but even additions...  Or do we not provide default
> channels?  Or not provide changes, just an initial import?

well the script is there, i think a few examples horde should provide, but to be
constantly updating these channels and lug around huge files in /config i don't
think it's worth it. jan suggested earlier to hook up to something like syndic8
to dynamically allow for adding of new channels.

marko