[jonah] updates to jonah

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 28 16:19:50 PDT 2003

Quoting Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:

> > Can't we make a "channels.php" backend for this?  Or is your backend layout
> > incompatible with text file or php file backends?
>
> in essence it's the same thing, only in sql. but how worth it would a
> channels.php be?

Worth a lot to sites that don't run sql, as that is the only backend
for your update right now.

It could be a driver that at initialization reads in the channels.php into
a hash/array, and then when queried hits that hash/array.  But that could
take a lot of memory if the channels file is large.  So probably we'd
need something different?  Like read/parse the file each time?  But that
could be cpu intensive?  So maybe read it, parse it, save it (serialized)
in a cache, and then when needed read in and unserialize it...  That
sounds reasonable.

If that last idea sounds reasonable, I might even be able to code something
up eventually for that...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics