[jonah] updates to jonah

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 29 00:40:46 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> While I suppose I could live with this for now, and it is probably better
> than just letting anyone write channels, most of us need something in
> between.
> As a University, we want to let our secretaries and/or grad students be
> the authors of channels, but we certainly don't really want to give them
> Horde admin status if we can avoid it.

I added this functionality probably two months ago at most because I needed
it. Help in expanding it would be great.

> In the long run, some kind of permission setup would be great.  Another
> way would be to create a jonah admin, like horde admin, in the jonah
> config files.  This would be a list of users who are jonah admins (can do
> updates, create channels, etc).  Obviously you would want to allow Horde
> admins to do these as well as jonah admins.  But having two lists would be
> a good compromise...

It is trivial to define a permission that serves this purpose. Look at
Rakim, for instance, and the code for Auth::isAdmin(). Rakim calls
Auth::isAdmin('rakim:admin'). Horde admins are automatically authorized. If
the user isn't a Horde admin, then we go looking for a rakim:admin
permission. If the user has that permission (you can specify a level
optionally as well, I forget what the default is), then they are
authorized. Otherwise, they aren't.

> > - any channels will have to be resubscribed, because their channel_ids
> have changed
>
> Yuck...
>
> > - any channels set up using Horde_Blocks (portal.php etc) will need to
> be reinserted, again because of all the channel_id changes.
>
> Yuck...

HEAD evolves.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.