reccuring events: exceptions?

kellan kellan@protest.net
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:29:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I've been watching kronolith off and on for a while, its great to see
it making so much progress lately.

I'm working on rewriting the calendar system behind protest.net in the
hopes of being able to open source it. (currently its proprietary)  And I
wanted to pick your brains :)

With recurring events there are two roads one can go, either expand the
event at insert time, or at display time.  Currently we expand at
insertion time up to a fixed number of events.  But I think this is
inelegant in the extreme.  I notice that Kronolith opts for the second
route, expanding at display time.

The one feature I haven't figured out how to code under this model is
exceptions.  It doesn't look like kronolith supports this yet either, but
I was wondering if you had any thoughts about it.

By exceptions I mean, "We have an event that repeats every Wednesday, at
4pm", but this week it occurs on Thursday at 6pm, or has been cancelled,
etc...

Any thoughts?  Insights. (btw.  I don't see the protest.net rewrite as
being competition for kronolith as its is and will be heavily focused on
event calendars, and away from a PIM like functionality)

thanks,
kellan

--
Dotcoms didn't make the world a better place.
They weren't trying to. Rest in Peace.

kellan@protest.net