[kronolith] Holidays

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:52:09 +0200

Zitat von Brandon Knitter <knitterb@blandsite.org>:

> Oh...maybe this would help:
>
>      http://www.gnu.org/software/gcal/gcal.html
>
> http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/gcal-3.00/gcal.html
>
> I just compiled this and I'm trying to figure out how to get a list of
> dates and
> titles from gcal, maybe that would work as an integration point?  At
> least it's
> a start.  The data files that come with gcal are fairly easy to use, and
> it
> seems to have a very wide range of holidays and such from around the
> world.

This seems to be a nice piece of software. But I want to raise another
issue here: performance.

I don't think, it's a good idea to calculate the holidays on every page
call. That's probably the reason why Outlook solves the holiday problem how
it does: You just import a list of holidays for the next few years. And
that's how I got them into Kronolith. I added my preferred holiday list to
Outlook, exported all events of the category "holiday" to csv and imported
them into Kronolith.

I guess we can provide such lists for Kronolith too and implement them
either by special keywords ("kronolith.holidays.germany",
"kronolith.holidays.christian") or by the soon coming shared calendars
[Chuck? :-)]. This way the user can easily add and remove sets of holidays.

Jan.