[kronolith] Holidays

Sun, 14 Apr 2002 07:56:05 -0500

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

> This seems to be a nice piece of software. But I want to raise another
> issue here: performance.

Yes.

> I don't think, it's a good idea to calculate the holidays on every page
> call. That's probably the reason why Outlook solves the holiday problem how
> it does: You just import a list of holidays for the next few years.

Can't you just import a file, which would have the reccuring events (holidays)
in it?  That is, not a file "for the next few years" but a file that works
forever by recurring events (unless holiday dates change, of course).

> I guess we can provide such lists for Kronolith too and implement them
> either by special keywords ("kronolith.holidays.germany",
> "kronolith.holidays.christian") or by the soon coming shared calendars
> [Chuck? :-)]. This way the user can easily add and remove sets of holidays.

If it had a list of files that could be imported, and a button/preference
to import them, that would be great.  Or, as you say, maybe the shared
calendar stuff would help too.

I'd want any solution to of course be augmentable, so I could add local
dates to the available lists (either as a seperate file, or by adding
to a file, whatever).

--
Eric Rostetter
eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu

Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat!