[kronolith] Holidays

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:04:00 -0400

Quoting Brandon Knitter <knitterb@blandsite.org>:

> I looked at the resource files that come with gcal and that's basically
> what we need.  I'm not suggesting making gcal a requirement.  It's like
> ispell in imp. If you don't want to use it, don't install it.  If you do
> want to use it, great.

No, not really. If you want spell checking, you need an implementation of
it - i.e, ispell/aspell. If you want holidays, you just need a list of
holidays. One person with gcal using it to generate Kronolith files which
everyone else can use is sufficient - no need for everyone - think about
people using Windows, for one - to have this program.

> Maybe we need a new approach, we know gcal will work.  What are the
> reasons for not having it optionally integrated?  Once again I'm kinda
> following the imp/ispell example.

Because, fundamentally, it's a list of dates. You expect users to
understand they need a whole new program, which might not work on their
platform, to get a list of dates and names? They'll go elsewhere instantly.

Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"A dream which helps you to live your reality with dignity
 and justice is a good dream." - Tariq Ramadan