[kronolith] Shared Calendars

Rick Stevens rstevens@vitalstream.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:26:19 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
 > Quoting Rick Stevens <rstevens@vitalstream.com>:
 >

 >>I appologize for the cross posting, but this message addresses items in
 >>the Horde, Horde Development and Kronolith realms, so I posted to all
 >>three hoping to solicit suggestions.
 >

 > I'm glad someone is poking at this at all, and encourage you in moving
 > forward, and hope we can get something like this into CVS at some
point.>
 > However, your specific work probably won't be, since it seems to rely too
 > much on configuring IMP a certain way (the domain stuff), and on the SQL
 > backend.

Actually, I'm doing it this way for a specific purpose and I'm under the
gun.  Once I roll it out, I'll have a bit of time to generalize it.

 > Some additional comments below.
 >

 >>I'm working on a shared calendar mechanism for virtual domains.  I'm
 >>basing my work on the kronolith-1.0-RC3 code base.  The intent of the
 >>shared calendar is as follows:
 >

 > You should really base work that you hope to become part of Horde on the
 > HEAD code. It'll make things a lot easier for all of us if we ever
integrate
 > your patches.

I don't want to be too much on the edge here, since this has to be a
production system.  Again, once I've got it working, I'll port it to the
HEAD branch.

 >>I can't find a simple Horde:: class that will build up this drop-down
 >>menu (I find plenty of examples for mailboxes and the like, but they
 >>are all application- and usage-specific).  Is there  a generic Horde
 >>method for generating a drop-down list from a simple array of text
 >>arguments and a way to pick up what the user selected?
 >

 > No, but it's also not very hard to do. You can use HTML_Select if you
really
 > want - see Kronolith's lib/Event.php for a bunch of exapmles.

Will do.

 >>There also doesn't appear to be a method for closing an open calendar.
 >>I can certainly "disconnect()" the SQL connection, but that would leave
 >>some crumbs around that we don't want.  I'll write a close routine
 >>if necessary.
 >

 > A patch for that would be fine.

Okey, doke.  I think I can sort that out.

 >>Going along with that, what is required to open a new calendar session?
 >>I suppose I could borg the code at the end of kronolith/lib/base.php
 >>and close (using the new function I guess I'll have to write), then
 >>open the new calendar and force a browser refresh.  That seems a bit
 >>draconian.  Is there an easier way or am I going to have to write
 >>it?

 > Hrm. Why do you think you need all of the above? I'm a bit confused.

Well, how else can you update the screen with the information from at
totally different calendar?  As I see it, the current Kronolith has no
method to open a second calendar.  I had hoped there was and that you,
oh great one, could steer me in the right direction.  The idea is to
close the current calendar, swap in the data for the new calendar, then
update the display with the new data.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -