[kronolith] Shared Calendar Thoughts

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:22:36 -0500

Quoting "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org>:

> > Would most users make use of this feature right now? Who knows, but at
> > least
> > we are not limiting ourselves from the beginning. If I were deciding
> > between
> > one package and another, the one thing I look for, aside from whether
> > it can
> > do what I want now, is if it can do what I think I would be doing in 6
> > months from now. You had mentioned Yahoo!Calendars in your initial
> > mail, what would
> > it take for you to completely remove yourself from using that? Would
> > this
> > feature help? If so, then that should be reason enough.
>
> You're right. I guess my whole point is that so long as the "basic
> functionality" that is available (of sharing calendars "as a whole"),
> I'm open to there being the ability to also share individual events as
> folks have described it.
>
> I think the shared-event UI becomes complicated when you want to only
> share it with a subset of users (e.g., not necessarily a group, but say,
> you and three co-workers going to a movie, or something).

But aren't "users" also just a "group of one"?  I don't see how this will
necessarily complicate things other than maybe having to get creative with how
you display the list of groups, maybe check for "groups of one" and display them
clumped together somehow.  Or just use a good "group of more than one" naming
convention to keep those together.

Personally, for what it counts... I think i'm interested in the shared event
model, provided users don't have to see the same event more than once... which
shouldn't be too hard to avoid.

--
Ryan T. Gallagher
ryan@studiesabroad.com