[kronolith] Re: [imp] MySQL performance tuning.

Christopher Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:31:44 -0500

Just a follow up for what worked for me

I added the following to my /etc/my.cnf file:

log-slow-queries
log-long-format

This logs the queries which exceed the "slow-query" time, and queries
which do not use an index.

There were 7,000 unindexed queries to the 10,000 record
kronolith_events table over an 8 hour period  recorded in the log.
This was the slow, overnight 8 hour time period, too. So, I also
added an index to kronolith_events:

create index calendar_id_idx on kronolith_events (calendar_id(8));

The first 8 characters are the only significant ones (for my
installation), the rest of the field contains the domain name, ie.
@tulane.edu so the index only covers the first 8 characters.

Thanks to this index and the one recommended by Shawn, the mysql
statistics look a lot better, and mysql isn't in the top 20 processes
by CPU use on the server anymore.

| Handler_delete           | 0      |
| Handler_read_first       | 0      |
| Handler_read_key         | 1515   |