[kronolith] Writing standalone reminder system

Karl J. Smalley Karl.Smalley at mail.jci.tju.edu
Fri Dec 12 21:51:17 PST 2003

> Quoting "Karl J. Smalley" <Karl.Smalley at mail.jci.tju.edu>:
>
> > Probably not the best place to post this, but . . .
> >
> > I've written a standalone reminder system the e-mails our users when the
> have
> > an alarm set for an event in kronolith.  I am having a problem with
> recurring
> > events, as in how do I know if now or now+5 minutes does not contain a
> > recurring event.
>
> I strongly reccommend that you write your app to use the Kronolith API (via
> XML-RPC or whatever), or even better, look at kronolith/scripts/eventd and
> help

Yes I have looked at it.

I sort of did something similar when I wrote a spamassassin configuration
utility by copying the forwards module from sork and modifying that.

eventd and /lib/kronolith were including files that were not in the distribution
I have loaded here. Actually, I tried to download just the missing files, but
they cleary were not the same version - and I am not sure if it would have
worked anyway. But I ran into one file I could not find anywhere, so I decided
to just try and write it straight out in a standalone script, without depending
on any of the libraries (including doing the sql connect, and selects and many
of the other fucntions inlcuded in the Driver libraries).

Perhaps I can rewrite it and include the drivers and conf files I do have here,
that way I will not be duplicating the existing code and it will fit more in
the framework.

I will give that a try.

I am still kind of interested in the advantage of handling recurring events with
the rule storage only vs. storing a finite number of instances of the recurring
events.

I see some of the advantages (smaller more comapct databases and the allowance
for infintely recurring events without any limitations).  But I just have to
believe the processing overhead for trying to calculate all the instances of
all recurring events to figure out whether they would be displayed on a certain
Day has to become overwhelming as the numbner of recurring events increases.

If I use the drivers, this becomes an academic question, but I am still curious
as to the answer.  Am I missing something in the logic (calculating all
instances until you pass the target window)? Thanks for the input.

> us flesh it out, since it does pretty much exactly what you describe.
>
> Otherwise, your code is going to be buggy and incomplete and going to have
> duplicate the core logic of what Kronolith *does*.
>
> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> "I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe

Karl J. Smalley
Systems Analyst                             Snail Mail:
                                                Kimmel Cancer Center
Phone:  (215) 503-4602                          Thomas Jefferson University
FAX:    (215) 923-2117                          812 BLSB, 233 S. 10th St.
WWW:    http://www.jci.tju.edu/~karl            Philadelphia, PA 19107
E-Mail: Karl.J.Smalley at mail.jci.tju.edu

"Mate in 3" - The sweetest words I have ever heard myself utter.
*******  This is  a Chess Phrase and nothing more **********