Fwd: Re: [kronolith] view a shared calendar with Mozilla's Calendar project

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 21 03:31:18 PST 2004

Zitat von Dennis Ortsen <mosaic at pinetree.nl>:

>> server
>> an

>> > Well, I know what XML is, and see the potential, but what can I do
>> > with the RPC
>> > server? I mean, how do I get this all to work together? Is the RPC server
>> > another module I need to install or is it already in the main part of
>> Horde?
>>
>> It's built into Horde and currently there are XMLRPC and SOAP
>> implementations of the RPC server and client. SyncML drivers are currently
>> being developed.
>> RPC does what it says: remote procedure calls. Our RPC server is implemented
>> in a way that every method exposed through the modules' APIs is available
>> in the RPC server.
>>
>> Jan.
>>

> OK, now I know what it is, but what is needed to get the Mozilla Calendar to
> *talk* with Kronolith? AFAIK, Mozilla Calendar only supports iCal files, thru
> WebDAV or FTP. how do I get the iCal files *automagically* imported in
> Kronolith, and how can I *automagically* export specific (shared)
> calendars to
> an iCal file? If it means some kind of job within cron that executes every 15
> minutes or so, that's fine offcourse.

I have no idea. It completely depends on what the Mozilla calendar is
expecting. If it expects a WebDAV server, we'd have to write one, if it's
FTP we're out of luck, if you don't want do that (rather ugly) cron
solution.

> It's just a shame that there is no other way of getting any kind of calendar
> program (Mozilla Calendar, Apple iCal, Ximian Evolution, MS Outlook) to talk
> with any web-enabled calendar solution, like kronolith. Without a doubt,
> Kronolith is by far the best web-based calendar solution. There are so many
> clones, or own creations out there that do something similar, but I haven't
> been able to find something that fits it all in together. There might be
> commercial products that can do the trick, but isn't it a bit weird that you
> need commercial software to connect 2 open source products to eachother?

Well, it needs someone with the motivation and the skills to do that. I
agree it would be cool to tie Kronolith tighter with other calendar apps,
but that's not very high on my personal priority list.

Jan.

http://www.ammma.de - Neue Wege des Lernens