Fwd: Re: [kronolith] view a shared calendar with Mozilla's Calendar project

Dennis Ortsen mosaic at pinetree.nl
Thu Jan 22 01:36:44 PST 2004

Citeren Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> > OK, now I know what it is, but what is needed to get the Mozilla Calendar
> > *talk* with Kronolith? AFAIK, Mozilla Calendar only supports iCal files,
> thru
> > WebDAV or FTP. how do I get the iCal files *automagically* imported in
> > Kronolith, and how can I *automagically* export specific (shared)
> > calendars to
> > an iCal file? If it means some kind of job within cron that executes every
> 15
> > minutes or so, that's fine offcourse.
>
> I have no idea. It completely depends on what the Mozilla calendar is
> expecting. If it expects a WebDAV server, we'd have to write one, if it's
> FTP we're out of luck, if you don't want do that (rather ugly) cron
> solution.

Mozilla calendar expects a WebDAV server. But let's not all forget that the
Mozilla Calendar is a project, not a product. In my eyes, that looks like a
working product with no guarantees in stability, reliability and course of
direction in the future. I have no clue what the future plans will be, perhaps
it will only support iCal files, or perhaps they plan to include a way to
connect to MySQL... Or java, or XML...

> > It's just a shame that there is no other way of getting any kind of
> calendar
> > program (Mozilla Calendar, Apple iCal, Ximian Evolution, MS Outlook) to
> talk
> > with any web-enabled calendar solution, like kronolith. Without a doubt,
> > Kronolith is by far the best web-based calendar solution. There are so many
> > clones, or own creations out there that do something similar, but I haven't
> > been able to find something that fits it all in together. There might be
> > commercial products that can do the trick, but isn't it a bit weird that
> you
> > need commercial software to connect 2 open source products to eachother?
>
> Well, it needs someone with the motivation and the skills to do that. I
> agree it would be cool to tie Kronolith tighter with other calendar apps,
> but that's not very high on my personal priority list.

OK, I was wondering if someone has ever tried/attempted to get Kronolith talking
directly or with another non-interactive way to a calendar app. My motivation
is pretty good, but I lack the skills to get the job done. I could learn
offcourse, but I don't know how much I need to learn to get the job, it could
take me a few years. And I'm not a programmer by heart, I can read and change
*some* code, but think of it as childsplay what I'm doing...

I now know there is no *easy* way available to get kronolith to talk to calendar
apps.

Thanks,

Wkr,

Dennis