[kronolith] Re: [horde] kronolith: adjusting for user vs. system time zone

Mark Bennett bennettm+horde at mailsnare.net
Sun Jan 9 14:01:23 PST 2005

> Quoting Mark Bennett <bennettm+horde at mailsnare.net>:
>
>> I terms of a more comprehensive solution, my opinion is that storing
>> dates in
>> UTC on the backend would simplify things in the long run. It seems like the
>> conversion to and from UTC would best take place in the actual back-end
>> drivers so that the rest of Kronolith can just not worry about it.
>
> That's putting the responsibility for knowing the current timezone into the
> backends, though, which feels like the wrong decision to me. It seems better
> for the backends to just return UTC.

Ok. As I was thinking through this later, I can imagine some situations
where we
don't want the back-end monkeying around with the dates for one reason or
another.

>> When a user creates an alarm that is part of a shared calendar maybe
>> have a checkbox that let's them indicate to Kronolith that it should
>> use "absolute time" -- meaning the alarm would trigger at the same
>> time for everyone regardless of their local time zone?
>
> That seems a little backwards to me. And it still doesn't address cases other
> than alarms.
>
> -chuck

Well, I was thinking along the lines of: I schedule a meeting with my staff
spread across several timezones ... we all need to be on the phone a 9:00 a.m.
my time so I don't really care about their time zone.

In terms of other cases, are they along the lines of allowing a user to create
an event using any time-zone they wish (defaulting to their own)? I can
imagine
some cases where that might be useful but I'm not sure I seeing the broader
picture here.

--Mark