[kronolith] Generation of user friendly FBURL

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sat Apr 2 15:34:43 PST 2005

In Kronolith 2.X, when a user goes to My Calendars, they have a My Free/Busy URL
block.  Here, they are able to choose from the available calendars to them to
generate a Free/Busy URL.  What's generated is a URL with a concatenation of
the uid's of the various calendars they want to be included in the output.
This is fine if its the user's first calendar, which typically gets named after
them.  But it becomes really cumbersome when you start to add the random 32
character names, and especially when you've got three or four of them.  Makes
for a heck of a long URL.

What I'd propose is to have the selection dialog, where you can choose the
calendars, be a preference that can be saved.  The URL for querying Free/Busy
information becomes fixed at
http://website/horde/kronolith/fb.php?c=horde_username.  When someone queries
that URL, the preference for the user is consulted to see which of their
calendars to include in generating the output.  Further benefit is that you
could have default FB URLs that Kronolith could consult because you have a
fixed format for those URLS for all users.  You don't even have to have to a FB
url published for Kronolith meeting attendance setup to work.  If its published
and available, it will work, otherwise, just assume it's what I listed above.

For us, we store this info in LDAP.  It's basically hard coded there - users
can't edit it.  If they happen to delete their first calendar and decide they
want calendars 2 and 3 to have their FB info generated from, there's no easy
way to update that information in LDAP.  But if you allow them to choose and
save the calendars they want included, as a preference in kronolith, and then
have that preference be queried per user that FB info is requested for, you end
up with a URL that can be fixed, and Kronolith takes care of generating the
dynamic results.

Good idea?  Or bad?

Kevin

--