[kronolith] Re: Generation of user friendly FBURL

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Apr 2 18:59:57 PST 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> What I'd propose is to have the selection dialog, where you can choose the
> calendars, be a preference that can be saved.  The URL for querying Free/Busy
> information becomes fixed at
> http://website/horde/kronolith/fb.php?c=horde_username.  When someone queries
> that URL, the preference for the user is consulted to see which of their
> calendars to include in generating the output.  Further benefit is that you
> could have default FB URLs that Kronolith could consult because you have a
> fixed format for those URLS for all users.  You don't even have to
> have to a FB url published for Kronolith meeting attendance setup to
> work.  If its published and available, it will work, otherwise, just
> assume it's what I listed above.

Well, we could start assuming Horde username now - probably a good
idea. Of course you then have to decide if you just ask people for a
username, or list users, or ...

But I don't think this is a good idea because it goes against being
able to individually address calendars - think about conference rooms,
etc; those should have their own free/busy info, and aren't necessarily
going to be individual users.

This would also put overhead into free/busy calls that's not there now,
and make caching tricky since you don't know what a given URL is going
to result in anymore.

I'd rather explore being able to have friendlier names for calendars -
either a user-pickable id, or being able to use the full calendar name
to pass to fb.php. Or maybe using the share id, instead of the share
name - that'd be nice and short. Still unfriendly, though.

Quincy Adams