[kronolith] Re: Generation of user friendly FBURL

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 3 07:36:25 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 09:43 -0400, Ken Weaverling wrote:
> This short thread has been valuable for me because it's given me some
> insight into how free/busy works, but I still can't get it to work even in
> the simplest case (I sent a msg to the list yesterday with full details).
> I think I must be doing something wrong, from the user perspective, since
> I don't understand it.
>
> Right now I'm manually putting in the generated FreeBusy URL for each user
> into the other users addressbook for them. Make appointments, the web
> server queries for the info, and the info return (by doing many gets)
> looks fine, but no free busy info shows.
>
> Is it because I'm not using a public ldap right now to update? If that is
> required, why is there an option for free busy url in the localsql "local"
> addressbook people use? Or are people expected to make thier own
> addressbook entry in ldap that keeps track of the freebusy URLs they want
> to use. Does kronolith write back to the ldap to keep this current or do
> people have to notify everyone who wants to make a meeting for them what
> the changed URL is? Did the limitation ppl talked about last year of only
> having one addressbook defined get addressed?

----
all of the discussion about your CTO and his experiences aren't really
useful here.

I use LDAP - I would recommend that you use LDAP too for a lot of
reasons but that shouldn't be necessary at all for using the free/busy
info.

What would be necessary is to have an address book which has the users
and their free/busy URL. It also seems necessary to for these users to
have a default_identity, from_addr and search_abook set (the one with
the free/busy entries) in their horde_prefs and none of this is
automatically done (unless you use a custom hook). This is my
understanding and I could be wrong.

I should point out that when I create a user in my LDAP backend, I have
it scripted to create a personal LDAP address book for that user and to
add their free/busy URL automatically - even though they haven't logged
into Horde/Imp and once they do log in, their 'Default Identity' and
'Mail From Address' are automatically set via a custom hook. There is no
reason that you couldn't do similarly - even using an sql backend to
store users.

Craig