[kronolith] Re: Generation of user friendly FBURL

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sun Apr 3 10:54:36 PDT 2005

Quoting Ken Weaverling <weave at dtcc.edu>:

> I seem to remember seeing some scripts for stuff like that on the wiki.
> Probably what I'll end up doing. But how do you determine the correct
> free/busy url? Just set it for their default calendar? The discussion
> earlier today was about when users want different calendars to be used to
> calculate free/busy, so I'm still not clear how that information gets
> published. Do they update their own record in the ldap with it?

You'll definitely find the hooks examples in the Wiki useful.  I, like Craig,
have our account setup scripts create a default Free/Busy URL in LDAP and am
using hooks to set a from_addr and fullname.  We've locked identities here.

You should be able to replicate most of the features of Exchange's meeting
scheduling.  Resources (like rooms, or mobile computer labs or
whatever) aren't
yet available in Kronolith but I suspect its in the pipeline.  I don't know if
the way that Exchange handles calendars and meetings is good or bad - I've
never used Exchange - but Kronolith delivers the ability to handle FB info and
schedule meetings using that info.

Your last point is exactly why I wrote my original proposal.  There is
no way to
publish that information within Kronolith currently.  And you don't want the
URL for a user's Free/Busy info to have the possibility of constantly
changing.

I have a patch that I wrote last night that adds a preference for the user to
specify which calendars should be included when generating FB info.  When
fb.php is consulted, it can return results for specific calendars (the way it
currently behaves) or for a user.  If its passed a u=username argument,
it will
consult the preference for that user to see which calendars to use, and then
generate the FB info.  I'll post it to the bugs/enhancement ticket system
tomorrow and put a link on the list.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer