[kronolith] Re: Generation of user friendly FBURL

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 3 11:22:52 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 13:32 -0400, Ken Weaverling wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Craig White wrote:
>
> > all of the discussion about your CTO and his experiences aren't really
> > useful here.
>
> You're right. Point taken.
>
> > I use LDAP - I would recommend that you use LDAP too for a lot of
> > reasons but that shouldn't be necessary at all for using the free/busy
> > info.
>
> OK.
>
> > What would be necessary is to have an address book which has the users
> > and their free/busy URL. It also seems necessary to for these users to
> > have a default_identity, from_addr and search_abook set (the one with
> > the free/busy entries) in their horde_prefs and none of this is
> > automatically done (unless you use a custom hook). This is my
> > understanding and I could be wrong.
>
> I'll go through my test cases and try to ensure each of those steps are
> done. Maybe one of them missing is my problem.
>
> > I should point out that when I create a user in my LDAP backend, I have
> > it scripted to create a personal LDAP address book for that user and to
> > add their free/busy URL automatically - even though they haven't logged
> > into Horde/Imp and once they do log in, their 'Default Identity' and
> > 'Mail From Address' are automatically set via a custom hook. There is no
> > reason that you couldn't do similarly - even using an sql backend to
> > store users.
>
> I seem to remember seeing some scripts for stuff like that on the wiki.
> Probably what I'll end up doing. But how do you determine the correct
> free/busy url? Just set it for their default calendar? The discussion
> earlier today was about when users want different calendars to be used to
> calculate free/busy, so I'm still not clear how that information gets
> published. Do they update their own record in the ldap with it?
----
obviously the methodology and ACL restrictions are left for the
administrator to play with.

Using an LDAP backend, I simply don't allow users to muck with their own
settings other than perhaps changing their passwords but I am using LDAP
for a lot of things other than Horde/IMP.

Using an sql backend - especially one which incorporates the users but
not private attributes, I might be inclined to allow users to edit but
of course, they could be mischievous and edit another users attributes
and break the implementation and it's hard to get much granular control
over what the users can and can't edit in a turba sql source.

Thus in the end, there is no clear one right way to handle this, only
the way you can implement and make functional and hopefully comfortable
with the implementation left to function in an environment where users
will do what users do.

Lastly, your question, how do I deterine the correct free/busy url?

I know this much to be true...
https://SERVER_NAME/horde/kronolith/fb.php=c?USER_NAME

thus my variables are
SERVER_NAME # duh
USER_NAME   # I obviously know this too...

In fact, I know both of these things the moment their account is created
on the system which sets their password, their samba settings, their
LDAP objectclasses etc. so setting their free/busy URL is simply adding
the ou: calEntry and calFBURL: as per above.

That said, what Kevin is talking about is trying to toss a money wrench
into the working gears of my setup.

Craig