[kronolith] Re: Generation of user friendly FBURL

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sun Apr 3 12:05:26 PDT 2005

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> Lastly, your question, how do I deterine the correct free/busy url?
>
> I know this much to be true...
> https://SERVER_NAME/horde/kronolith/fb.php=c?USER_NAME
>
> thus my variables are
> SERVER_NAME # duh
> USER_NAME   # I obviously know this too...

Nope -  you're making one bad assumption.  You are assuming that the person's
calendar is always going to be their username.  And that is true if, and only
if, the calendar they use to generate FB info is their first calendar.  The
first calendar share for a user is assigned their username.  The second
and any
subsequent calendars are given 32 character names.  If they happen to delete
their first calendar, suddenly, you've got a broken URL.  And because
your LDAP
is unmuckable by users (as it mostly should be), its broken and locked.
  And if
you happened to give out that URL to someone outside your organization
to use? Its broken for them too.  And if you happen to decide that your
first calendar
is for work stuff and then you create a second private calendar for private
stuff, and you want both to be used to generate FB info?  The URL is broken
again, because its changed to
https://SERVER_NAME/horde/kronolith/fb.php=c[]USERNAME&c[]a-32-character-share-id

My patch lets you call https://SERVER_NAME/horde/kronolith/fb.php=u?USER_NAME
and in my example just above, where there are two calendars used to
generate my
FB info, those share id's are stored as a preference and the FB results of
those two calendars are merged and returned.  The results are identical either
way you call it, but the URL for the latter can be published
everywhere, and it
never needs to be updated or changed.  Not to mention that its considerably
more predictable and readable than random 32 character share ids :)

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator