[kronolith] Show events from other Apps in Kronolith

Robin Rainton robin at rainton.com
Tue Dec 20 01:38:14 PST 2005

Hi,

If you're subscribed to other lists you might have read I'm playing with
a logistics type package. This is going OK-ish and moving onto
integration with other apps.

I'd like to get 'jobs' entered in the new app to appear in a user's
Kronolith calendar, and see there might be several ways to do this:

1. Create some sort of remote calendar feed (with ical) and have
Kronolith import this (from the same server? Dumb, eh?).
2. I see Nag tasks can appear, so could create this 'listTasks' method.
Nice, but a bit limited.
3. Patch Kronolith somehow (yerch!)
4. Create a different 'Driver' type and drop into the Kronolith
directory (although how to make Kronolith use this would be a mystery to
me!).
5. Something else?

Number 2 does look promising, but it's a bit nag-centric. Are there any
plans to make this more generic. Ie. instead of the Kronolith option
saying "Tasks\nDo you want to show tasks which are due on your
calendar?" perhaps it should have a list of apps from where events can
be shown (this would be a bit like Nag's "External Data" option I
guess). It might also be better for Kronolith to be able to pass a date
range and perhaps other filter (although I can't think what that might
be) info to potential donor apps, thus limiting events returned. Would
like to return Edit link info as well as view - that would be nice.

If no-one says anything think I'll mash together option 2, but would
like to hear any views on the best way to acheive the end result.

Cheers,

Robin