[kronolith] Show events from other Apps in Kronolith

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Dec 25 08:58:26 PST 2005

Quoting Robin Rainton <robin at rainton.com>:

> If you're subscribed to other lists you might have read I'm playing with
> a logistics type package. This is going OK-ish and moving onto
> integration with other apps.
>
> I'd like to get 'jobs' entered in the new app to appear in a user's
> Kronolith calendar, and see there might be several ways to do this:
>
> 1. Create some sort of remote calendar feed (with ical) and have
> Kronolith import this (from the same server? Dumb, eh?).
> 2. I see Nag tasks can appear, so could create this 'listTasks' method.
> Nice, but a bit limited.
> 3. Patch Kronolith somehow (yerch!)
> 4. Create a different 'Driver' type and drop into the Kronolith
> directory (although how to make Kronolith use this would be a mystery to
> me!).
> 5. Something else?
>
> Number 2 does look promising, but it's a bit nag-centric. Are there any
> plans to make this more generic. Ie. instead of the Kronolith option
> saying "Tasks\nDo you want to show tasks which are due on your
> calendar?" perhaps it should have a list of apps from where events can
> be shown (this would be a bit like Nag's "External Data" option I
> guess). It might also be better for Kronolith to be able to pass a date
> range and perhaps other filter (although I can't think what that might
> be) info to potential donor apps, thus limiting events returned. Would
> like to return Edit link info as well as view - that would be nice.

I think a really elegant way to do all of this would be for Kronolith
to support showing Atom feeds. Atom feeds can have edit links, display
links, as much custom information as you need, dates, etc. We could
have other apps, like Nag, provide Atom feeds (potentially restricted
by dates or other criteria, such as having a due date and not
completed). Could provide the same information _to_ Nag for displaying
whups tickets on the task list, Hermes could provide timesheet
information to Kronolith, etc.

I really think either that or iCalendar is the way to go.

"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships