[kronolith] How to refuse overlapped events for some calendars ?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Oct 11 14:53:52 PDT 2006

Quoting Patrick Abiven <patrick.abiven at apitech.fr>:

> We have dedicated some calendars as 'resource calendars' (for
> meeting room, vehicule, ...).
> And for these calendars we would like to refuse 'overlapped events'.
> What are your advises for implementing this ? Should we create a
> specific driver for this type of calendars and check the start-end
> time before saving the new event ?

There's at least one ticket on bugs.horde.org for checking conflicts
when creating a new event. If I was going to implement I'd follow this
rough outline:

- Implement checks for conflicts when creating/editing events
- Resources should be implemented as attendees, not as calendars (you
want to be able to "invite" both a projector and a meeting room, for
example). So do some sort of virtual account implementation, where
administrators can create and manage resources.
- When a resource is invited to an event, it must be free for the whole event.