[kronolith] Fwd: [Tickets #4982] Re: Expose Kronolith data via XML, emulating Sharepoint's XMLRPC Web Services for integration into Microsoft Outlook

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Feb 12 05:45:19 PST 2007

Zitat von Jon Spriggs <jon at spriggs.org.uk>:

> On 2/9/07, Rafael Varela Pet <srrafa at usc.es> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I'm giving up. Can someone else please try to explain that this
>>> functionality already exists in Kronolith?
>> Just my two cents:
>> Maybe the point is make clear to Jon that *Outlook is already compatible
>> with this existing functionality* (if I have understood your previous
>> messages correctly) so there's no need to develop anything (no matter if
>> it's an open or proprietary solution).
>
> OK, I've had a chat with someone on another list, which seems to show
> that I didn't really explain myself properly.
>
> My experiments thus far seem to suggest that iCal will import the data
>> from a specific calendar into another specific calendar. My
> experiments with the Sharepoint environment shows that Microsoft make
> specific SOAP requests on a regular basis to the calendar server. This
> means that to the Client Application (in this case Microsoft Outlook),
> the server is keeping the client up-to-date.
>
> I'd be really happy to be proved wrong (mainly because it'd mean I
> won't have to code anything! :) ), but I can't see how Outlook can
> persistently get updates from the server with the iCal protocol.

By subscribing to it. I have to admit that my impression was this
feature already exists for longer in Outlook, but obviously these were
only announcements by Microsoft. It hasn't been added before Outlook
2007 actually.

> I'm really sorry if I'm causing any problems with this, but I'm
> feeling quite frustrated at not being able to explain myself properly,
> and I really want to use this product in my team.

I'm still not sure if it makes sense to support such a proprietary
solution, but on the other hand, since we already have a working SOAP
server and there are a lot of Outlook users out there that won't
upgrade to 2007, I might get convinced. Either with a clean patch or
with being paid for the development.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/