[kronolith] Reminders not sending and script not exiting

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jan 22 08:01:28 UTC 2008

Bringing this back to the list.

Quoting Gareth McCumskey <gmccumskey at gmail.com>:

> I thought I might just add as additional information. The problem happens
> within kronolith/lib/Scheduler/kronolith.php and specifically once the code
> reaches the block within the run() method that looks as follows:
>
> if ($this->_runtime - $this->_listtime > 3600) {
> global $shares;
>
> $this->_listtime = $this->_runtime;
> $this->_calendars = $shares->listAllShares();
> }
>
> is where it hangs. It does not seem able to get the list of calendars. We
> do admittedly have a very large number of users on the system (upwards of
> 100 000) so perhaps it is simply that Horde is unable to get the details of
> all the calendars in a reasonable time frame? If so, could someone point me
> in the right direction to take a look at the code that gets the calendars so
> I can perhaps find a way to optimise it?

This is the same problem here, see
http://lists.horde.org/archives/kronolith/Week-of-Mon-20070319/006476.html
for the details

> In the meantime I am going to be working on a horribly hackish solution, i.e.
> adding a feature into add_event to insert another record in a seperate table
> and writing a seperate script to process those entries every few minutes to
> send the SMS reminders we are trying to achieve. At least then if I can't
> find a way to make the built-in horde functionality work for us I have
> something that will at the least get the job done.

I thought of that too, i think kronolith_events contains all
information needed.
i added a bugreport see http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=5240

> All the help so far is appreciated. I honestly hope some solution can be
> found as I would far prefer to use existing Horde functionality which we
> should get operational anyway than trying to implement a solution that
> duplicates it.

I think the reminderfunctionality has been totaly rewritten in Horde
3.2 but i had no time to check if this will work with many users. I
will test this when the final of Horde 3.2 is released so i don't have
to do it twice.

michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen