[kronolith] (Global) usage of categories and colors in Kronolith (2.3-RC1)

gimili gimili17 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:55:39 UTC 2008

Andreas Rieger wrote:
> There's only one issue remaining concerning the use of categories and
> colors.
> Is there a way to globally create categories (for all users and
> guests) and assign colors to them.
> Right now the the categories (and the colors assigned to them) seem to
> be individual/per-user settings. If i access a shared calendar with
> another account my color-assignments are 'lost'.   A registered user
> can assign his own colors to 'my' categories but guest users don't
> have this option and therefore have no choice to use different colors
> for different categories.
> Did i miss a setting for global category/color-settings?
> Or is this rather a new request for the feature tracker ;-) ?
This is what I did.  I edited options in
/usr/share/horde3/config/prefs.php as per below.  If users have set
their own categories these won't show but they work for all guests and
users who have not added categories.  Perhaps there is another way?  If
a user that has categories adds the global ones they will start to work
for that user.  You may be able to lock it so that people can add custom
categories so that the global ones are the only option.  Perhaps there
is a way add the records to the database for all users so that they
could have custom and global but that is beyond my skill level.

Color on the calendar is nice.  Perhaps it would be good to just be able
to assign a color to an event or pick from a set of small icons?

// categories
$_prefs['categories'] = array(
    'value' => 'Public Event|Meeting|Birthday',
    'locked' => false,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'implicit'
);

// category colors
$_prefs['category_colors'] = array(
    'value' => 'Public Event:#f40099|Meeting:#ffea28|Birthday:#4f7f00',
    'locked' => false,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'implicit'
);