[kronolith] how to re: Added calendar widgets embeddable into external websites

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Oct 1 20:31:38 UTC 2008

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> I'd like to know what the various permissions mean for the Horde
> application.  What do Show, Read, Edit, and Delete mean in the Horde
> context?

In the Horde context, the only meaningful permission is READ or the
lack of it. READ means the user has access, lack of it means they don't.

> Right now, I have no permissions set for Horde.  When I add the
> Horde permission and set only Show for Guests, I get the error
> "Guest user is not authorised for Horde." on the calendar widget.
> If I set Show and Read, the calendar widget works.
>
> Apparently I also need to set some of those permissions for
> Authenticated Users, because the "Horde" link on the sidebar
> disappears if I only have permissions set for Guests.  What about
> the Edit and Delete permissions? Are those needed for Authenticated
> Users?

They are not.

What I said above goes for any application, not just Horde, except
that if for some reason you want to let users know that an application
exists, but not let them use it (maybe a premium upgrade?), you can
give them SHOW permissions.

If there are no permissions set on an application, or on Horde itself,
the default is to allow authenticated users and disallow guests
(unless the app is disabled or set to admin-only in the registry).

If you set any permissions on an application, however, those defaults
go away since now there is a permission for the app and it needs to be
honored. So when you start adding guest permissions, you need to set
appropriate authenticated user permissions as well.

If this makes sense, will someone please put it in the wiki?