[kronolith] how to re: Added calendar widgets embeddable into external websites

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Oct 2 20:11:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:
>
>> I'd like to know what the various permissions mean for the Horde
>> application.  What do Show, Read, Edit, and Delete mean in the Horde
>> context?
>
> In the Horde context, the only meaningful permission is READ or the lack of
> it. READ means the user has access, lack of it means they don't.
>
>> Right now, I have no permissions set for Horde.  When I add the Horde
>> permission and set only Show for Guests, I get the error "Guest user is not
>> authorised for Horde." on the calendar widget.  If I set Show and Read, the
>> calendar widget works.
>>
>> Apparently I also need to set some of those permissions for Authenticated
>> Users, because the "Horde" link on the sidebar disappears if I only have
>> permissions set for Guests.  What about the Edit and Delete permissions?
>> Are those needed for Authenticated Users?
>
> They are not.
>
> What I said above goes for any application, not just Horde, except that if
> for some reason you want to let users know that an application exists, but
> not let them use it (maybe a premium upgrade?), you can give them SHOW
> permissions.
>
> If there are no permissions set on an application, or on Horde itself, the
> default is to allow authenticated users and disallow guests (unless the app
> is disabled or set to admin-only in the registry).
>
> If you set any permissions on an application, however, those defaults go away
> since now there is a permission for the app and it needs to be honored. So
> when you start adding guest permissions, you need to set appropriate
> authenticated user permissions as well.
>
> If this makes sense, will someone please put it in the wiki?

Okay, the EDIT and DELETE permissions don't do anything when set on the
application itself?  For Turba and IMP I have all the permissions set for
Authenticated Users and nothing set for Guests.  For Kronolith I have all
the permissions set for Authenticated Users and only SHOW and READ for
guests (to enable access to freebusy info, I think).

Is it safe to remove EDIT and DELETE from Authenticated Users for all the
applications, with the understanding that they are not used?

I want to double-check before I break something.  :)

 	Andy