[kronolith] ICS Major Performance Problem

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Tue Sep 15 16:50:39 UTC 2009

Aria Bamdad wrote:
> Doesn't sound like a performance problem.  Sounds like something is being
> hung up for this user.  Have you tried to create a test user with similar
> number of appointments and see if it happens to your test user also?
>
> You may want to export the calendar for the problem user and import into
> another user to see if the problem is either cleared or transferred to the
> new user.  There could be something in the calendar that is causing a loop
> condition.

Thanks for the response, but we have literally just finished diagnosing
the problem. It *is* a performance issue and the problem is in Horde's
String::wordwrap() function. Correctly wrapping text to conform to the
iCalendar standard is currently being very inefficiently handled.

The temporary fix is to replace the call to String::wordwrap in
lib/Horde/iCalendar.php (line 1055 in my version) with a call to php's
built-in wordwrap() function.

This breaks the iCal standard with respect to line folding, but has
dropped the processing time here from 50 seconds to 5 seconds and
Lightning/Sunbird doesn't seem to care, although I cannot speak for
compatibility of other clients.

--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com