[kronolith] kronolith: two post-install snags

cjdl01 cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Thu Oct 4 17:13:07 UTC 2012

Quoting Christof Buergi <christof at buergi.lugs.ch>:

> Am 03.10.2012 schrieb Brent:
>
>> I note that %r in the strftime format means "time in am and pm
>> notation".  Somehow, the %X (preferred time designation without the
>> date) is returning %r.  Could it be something is not setting the
>> preferred timed designation correctly somewhere?  A standalone .php
>> script returns the correct time when using %x %X.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the problem, but for PHP scripts
> running in the context of a webserver, the "locale" is usually not
> set based on the operating system settings. Instead, it is usually
> set to "C" ("POSIX international") by default. Thus %X is equivalent
> to %r.
>
> --

But I guess what I'm saying here is that I did not change any such
setting.  Whatever the setting is, it came that way out of the box.
But, your point is taken.  So, is there a way to change this setting
to see if it makes a difference?

It seems to me that it could be something in some bit of code that is
taking %r literally, instead of as a variable representing time.  Thus
%X == '%r', instead of %X == %r.  Like brent said, this may be
happening late in the process where the the output is rendered in
html...  but I can only speculate.  It seems to me, however, that if
there is a way to do this independent of the C locale (or whatever),
then maybe it should be implemented (brent had me use %c).  It seems I
was not the only one bitten by this.  It is just that the others who
had it were smarter than me and could fix it themselves :).