[kronolith] Timezone issue when importing Google ical files

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Nov 18 10:11:58 UTC 2013

Zitat von Erik Quaeghebeur <horde at equaeghe.nospammail.net>:

> Dear list,
>

> Regarding my question about a timezone issue I encountered, Jan
> Schneider replied (Thanks!), referring to a calendar entry listed at
> the bottom:
>
>> The event definition is crystal clear. The event is from 3:57 UTC to
>> 3:57 UTC.
>
> Ok, changing my 'local timezone' preference from 'standard' to my
> local timezone, I get the correct behavior. (Sorry, I should have
> done this before.)
>
> So what does Kronolith do with the X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Brussels
> header? Is it relevant at all?

No, it's not, and is ignored by Kronolith. Since attributes with this
prefix are usually per-calendar properties from Google, my best bet
is, that this the calendar's default timezone. It might indicate which
timezone the user wants to use. But since we don't have per-calendar
timezones, just per-user and per-event timezones, there isn't anything
we could do with this information. Let alone that it isn't any standard.

> Is there a way to let Kronolith get the local timezone from the OS
> using the Javascript Date() function and/or using the GeoIP database?
> (I guess there can be good reasons to not do this by default.)

It already uses the (server's) default timezone.

> Best,
>
> Erik
>
>>> BEGIN:VCALENDAR
>>> PRODID:-//Google Inc//Google Calendar 70.9054//EN
>>> VERSION:2.0
>>> CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
>>> METHOD:PUBLISH
>>> X-WR-CALNAME:EDITED
>>> X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Brussels
>>> DTSTART:20120802T035700Z
>>> DTEND:20120802T035700Z
>>> DTSTAMP:20131112T143455Z
>>> UID:EDITED
>>> ATTENDEE;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;CN=EDITED;
>>>
>>> X-NUM-GUESTS=0:<snip>
>>> CREATED:20120511T132035Z
>>> LAST-MODIFIED:20120814T123144Z
>>> LOCATION:EDITED