[mimp] Problems with mimp and two mobile phones

Alain Fauconnet alain at ait.ac.th
Sun Jun 25 19:03:36 PDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:38:58PM +0100, Joao Palhoto Matos wrote:
> Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been experiencing problems with mimp on both my mobile phones.  My
> >own one is a Nokia 3120, and I have a work phone which is a Sony
> >Ericsson K700i.  Both seem to be experiencing the same error which comes
> >up after logging into mimp (I don't have integrated login set up, so I
> >first have to log into horde and then get automatically redirected to
> >the mimp login page which is where things fail..)
> >
> >I am running CVS versions of mimp, tested again a few mins ago and still
> >seeing the same problem.
> >
> >This did work earlier in the year when I was overseas in Sydney at
> >Christmas/New Year time - and I was able to access my mail with the
> >Nokia just fine.  So something has changed since then that has caused it
> >to fail.  I use mimp fairly infrequently so I can't be more specific
> >about when it broke, at this stage.
> >
> >The mimp/test.php page shows all green, ie the installation looks happy.
> >Additionally I can log in to mimp with IE and Firefox over the LAN and
> >it works fine too.
> >
> >The Nokia displays the error message: "Response not known".  The Sony
> >Ericsson displays a similar message: "Something is wrong with the page
> >you tried to access.  Choose another link".

[logs deleted]

> >My system is a Fedora Core Linux machine, running the development train
> >of Fedora, so this is with Apache 2.2.2 and php-5.1.4.
> >
> >This is with Vodafone NZ.
> >
> >Do the above traces give any clues as to what might be going wrong?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >reuben
> >

> Hi:
>
> I am seeing something with similar symptoms except I am using MIMP 1.0
> (this seems to be identical to CVS at least yesterday), Fedora 5. It used
> to work with pre-releases of MIMP but a lot has changed since then in the
> local installation. All tests seem OK.
>
> Do you also use the method for mimp/imp logins described in the MIMP HOW-TO?
>
> João P Matos

Just a shot in the dark really: all the problems I have seen when
accessing my mail from my mobile phone using MIMP were due to the WAP
gateway at my operator timing out because it was taking too long for
my web mail server to reply (my INBOX routinely contains ~2000 messages so
it takes a short while to log in).
This timeout is rather short as it seems, like 3-5 seconds or so.
I have found no other solution than trimming my INBOX out.

This may be completely unrelated to what you're experiencing, but I
thought I'd share it anyway.

Greets,
_Alain_