[sam] Re: 28 Aug 2003 Commit - Horde/IMP Versions?

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Thu Mar 11 07:31:10 PST 2004

Quoting "Gary C. New" <garycnew at yahoo.com>:

> Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>> Quoting "Gary C. New" <garycnew at yahoo.com>:
>>
>>> I noticed that a major commit took place on 28 Aug 2003.  Were the HEAD
>>> versions of Horde and IMP used to develop this release or was a RELENG
>>> version used?
>>

>> I have no idea - that's half a year ago. Check http://cvs.horde.org/

I'm not sure if you know how development is done for these projects,
but usually
what happens is that all new development is done with HEAD.  So in
August 2003,
SAM worked with CVS HEAD (from August 2003).  For release versions, usually a
new branch is made in CVS and only bug changes/fixes are made to that branch
(so that it works with released version of the Horde framework).  If a
particular enhancement has worked fine in HEAD for some time, a developer will
sometimes take the fix and merge it from HEAD into the RELEASE branch.

> I appreciate how helpful you have always been with your replies.  I
> think it is one thing this project has over all the others.  If I knew
> how to figure out what versions of Horde and IMP were used with that
> particular commit, do you think I would be posing the question here?
>
>>> I am interested in developing an amavisd_ldap driver, but
>>> only will do so if I can fine a more stable release of SAM to use.

I don't know why you think SAM is unstable.  I'm using a version from CVS HEAD
that works just fine.

>> If you submit it to what is currently HEAD, then the stable Sam that
>> is released
>> with Horde 3.0
>>

> Several versions of Horde and IMP have been released since that time.
> Wouldn't it be just as easy to release a working version of SAM when
> those respective projects provide a release?  Or has all development
> been with the Horde 3.0 HEAD?

If you are willing to devote the time it takes to maintain and support
a RELEASE
version of SAM, i'm sure the Horde developers will love for you to contribute.
Everyone is a volunteer and doing this in their own time, so I don't think you
can expect every package that they have to have a RELEASE version.

>>> I can appreciate the desire to develop along with the latest HEAD, but
>>> if anyone is to actually use SAM in a production environment a milestone
>>> release needs to be created every once in a while for real world use.

When CVS HEAD is relatively stable I take a snapshot and use this in my
production environment.  If your not willing to do this you have to wait.

>> And it will be, with the stable Horde 3.0.
>>

> I can't wait!

This is opensource, you can do whatever you like with code, including
contributing to the project to develop a RELEASE that works with a current
release of Horde

>>> I know of a few different versions of SAM floating around, but all of
>>> them are crude hacks and some do not support the latest amavisd_sql
>>> driver.  If the SAM project is to progress, I think it would be wise to
>>> make it usable with a somewhat stable release of other Horde
>>> applications.  No bugs is important, but usable is more important.
>>

>> You're repeating yourself.
>>

> I can see how this could be taken as repetition.  My intention, however,
> was to reiterate what a valuable project I think it could be, with a few
> examples and suggestions.
>
>>> Does anyone know of a version of SAM available for use with Horde 2.2.5
>>> and IMP 3.2.3 and closely resembles the post 28 Aug 2003 commit?
>>

>> No. No one has bothered to actually work with us in maintaining a
>> RELENG Sam.
>>

> I am sorry you feel that way.  Perhaps others would be more incline to
> help with a RELENG version if the HEAD developers would be a little more
> helpful themselves.

I think this is a little over the top.  The Horde developers have their
priorities and maintaining a RELENG version of SAM is not one of them right
now.  If it is important to you, you should step up and contribute.

> Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the HEAD developers' efforts.  I
> would just like to see more assistance on both sides of development.

They need help, and you can contribute.