[sam] Re: 28 Aug 2003 Commit - Horde/IMP Versions?

Gary C. New garycnew at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 20:37:05 PST 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting "Gary C. New" <garycnew at yahoo.com>:
>
>> I noticed that a major commit took place on 28 Aug 2003.  Were the HEAD
>> versions of Horde and IMP used to develop this release or was a RELENG
>> version used?
>

> I have no idea - that's half a year ago. Check http://cvs.horde.org/

I appreciate how helpful you have always been with your replies.  I
think it is one thing this project has over all the others.  If I knew
how to figure out what versions of Horde and IMP were used with that
particular commit, do you think I would be posing the question here?

>> I am interested in developing an amavisd_ldap driver, but
>> only will do so if I can fine a more stable release of SAM to use.
>

> If you submit it to what is currently HEAD, then the stable Sam that is
> released
> with Horde 3.0

Several versions of Horde and IMP have been released since that time.
Wouldn't it be just as easy to release a working version of SAM when
those respective projects provide a release?  Or has all development
been with the Horde 3.0 HEAD?

>> I can appreciate the desire to develop along with the latest HEAD, but
>> if anyone is to actually use SAM in a production environment a milestone
>> release needs to be created every once in a while for real world use.
>

> And it will be, with the stable Horde 3.0.

I can't wait!

>> I know of a few different versions of SAM floating around, but all of
>> them are crude hacks and some do not support the latest amavisd_sql
>> driver.  If the SAM project is to progress, I think it would be wise to
>> make it usable with a somewhat stable release of other Horde
>> applications.  No bugs is important, but usable is more important.
>

> You're repeating yourself.

I can see how this could be taken as repetition.  My intention, however,
was to reiterate what a valuable project I think it could be, with a few
examples and suggestions.

>> Does anyone know of a version of SAM available for use with Horde 2.2.5
>> and IMP 3.2.3 and closely resembles the post 28 Aug 2003 commit?
>

> No. No one has bothered to actually work with us in maintaining a RELENG
> Sam.

I am sorry you feel that way.  Perhaps others would be more incline to
help with a RELENG version if the HEAD developers would be a little more
helpful themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the HEAD developers' efforts.  I
would just like to see more assistance on both sides of development.

Sincerely,

Gary
A frustrated SAM user.K