[sork] sork now on ftp.horde.org

Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:39:28 -0500

Quoting "Derek J. Balling" <dballing@byramhealthcare.com>:

> I started playing with vacation, and have encountered a ... quirk.

I guess "quirk" is as good a description as any...

> Not sure if I've got something wrong.

Nope.

> vacation puts the .vacation.* files and the .forward in place on the
> remote server. Except that what it sends over as .vacation.db isn't
> actually the output of "vacation -i" but is, instead, a 0-byte
> file... which causes vacation (when run from the .forward) to puke.

Correct.  It sets the *.db files to null files (from /dev/null actually).
This is, I would say, "cheating" in the setup.  The problem is there is no
real way to run "vacation -i" to get the correct output.

Most vacation programs work fine with the null .db files.  Apparently your
vacation program does not.   What I need to know is what version of
vacation you are using (the more info the better), and what exactly it
creates when you do a "vacation -i" command (which files, what's in them,
etc).

> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

I assume you are doing nothing wrong, and that your vacation program is
just more picky (correct) than most.  I don't know that for sure, but
it is reasonable to assume that is the case.  If you let me know more
about how your vacation works, maybe we can find a workaround...

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage