[sork] Re: vacation question

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:18:42 -0500

Quoting Ilya <mail@krel.org>:

> In my sql setup I have following fields: vacation (y/n) , vacation message,
> and vacation subject. This is probably standard config for sql setup for exim
> mailers, since it comes from example in distribution. I also looked at man

Yes, that is standard setup.  The only thing to possibly add is the "alias"
field people are asking for. (See man page for help, it's probably in there)

> so my question is what do you think a good way to handle subject? It would be

Traditionally, subject is part of the message field.  See the existing code
which includes a subject line.  The "vacation program" then grabs the
subject from the message text, possibly modifies it (using symbol substitution,
etc), and then uses it.

> very easy on sql side. but i am not sure how you would do it with .forwards
> method? And I would need another entry field in html. May be make it
> dependant on Driver used?

You could add it as a seperate field in the html if required for some driver,
but only as a last resort.  It should, if possible, just be included in the
message text, not as a seperate field.  This is for consistency, if nothing
else...

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage