[sork] Re: [dev] Passwd Branching soon?

Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:43:42 -0500

Quoting Mike Cochrane <mike@graftonhall.co.nz>:

> Eric, are you planning on branching passwd anytime soon? With your

Well, I've been planning on cutting a release and branching it for probably
two months now.  But it hasn't happened.  And for the last week, I've been
doing documentation for Horde rather than coding...

Maybe you can help me with some docs, and I can spend more time on sork
in exchange???

> permission, I
> would like to rework the drivers system to match that of the other horde
> modules like gollem, imp, ingo.

I have no problem with making them consistent.  I also have no real idea
how they are inconsistent, so your help would be good here.

> This would be a rather substantial change with the following benifits:
> - Consistancy and easier configuration.

All for that.

> - Would allow different drivers for different realms.

All for that.

> - Get the server config out of conf.php and into backends.php

Ah, okay, so that is what you mean... Cool...

> - Allow conf.php to be removed and replaced with conf.xml

Fine...

> Other changes I would like to make are:
> - When a user is allready logged in don't prompt for the current password
> again,
> we can get this from Auth::, or at least make this a configurable option.

Would have to be configurable if you did this for two reasons:

* We have no idea that the backend uses the same username
  and password as Horde does.
* Security concerns: Standard Best Practices always make you reauthenticate
  before changing passwords, etc.  (e.g. you can't change your unix password
  when logged into unix without re-authenticating first).

We can take a vote as to if this should be allowed or not.  But if allowed,
it must be an admin configuration option that defaults to off.

> - Auto log the user out after they successfully change their password.

This is in the todo list.  But, you need to somehow give them a success
message so they know it was changed (pass $reason to the login screen should
work) and you must not log them out if it fails.  Otherwise, this is great.

> This would mean that passwd would only work with the HEAD version of Horde,
> I'm not sure what it's current status is in regard to this.

It has relase and head versions.

My advice is keep pushing me to cut a new release, and then once I do that
make your changes in head.  If you volunteer to help document some modules,
that would speed things up.  Need good docs for nag, mnemo, trean, and klutz.