[sork] passwd and md5 in CVS HEAD

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 16 17:14:34 PST 2002

Quoting Amith Varghese <amith@xalan.com>:

> A little while ago when Passwd got modified to support different backends,
> the
> md5 encryption scheme got changed to use use PHP's internal MD5 function.
> However, this seems to break password changing on OpenLDAP servers.

Could this be an issue where we need one system for ldap, and the other
for sql?  Is the current code working/broken for any sql users?

> I'm proposing that the md5 encryption scheme should be
> changed back to the original mhash method unless someone who uses md5 has is
> working correctly with HEAD.

I put the changes up for comments and received none.  So the changes went
in.

So, I'll put this up for comments again.  My particular concern is that maybe
MySQL needs the php md5() whereas ldap wants the other method.  If so, we
can simply code it differently for each backend.

Please, people using any version passwd with either sql or ldap let me
know what is working or broken for your installation, so we can resolve
this.