[sork] Re: [imapproxy] configuration advice [was :ImapProxy session issue ]

G G Papazoglou grp at med.uoc.gr
Wed Jan 15 10:18:35 PST 2003

> I am interested in opinions on a medium sized installation's
> configuration. I haven't had a chance to test this yet, since I can't
> generate the volume necesary to test it in a contrived situation, and
> I am loathe to perform a "production test".  I plan to do so late one
> night to see how performance is before imapacting the 11am rush.
> I have about 6,000 unique users per day.  Peak concurrent usage is
> 1,200 sessions.  I currently have a seperate Solaris 9 box ready to
> perform the imapproxy function, since previously imapproxy became
> unresponsive when I put it into production.

This is right for me too, it's kind of difficult to check the
performance. Yet, compared to yours, my installation seems minimal...I
have about 1,000 users in total, perhaps 10 or 20 concurrent sessions max,
and most of them do not use IMP but prefer POP3 access. My current config is:

keepalive       60
client_timeout  60
server_timeout  300
stats_frequency 60
max_reuse       5

As you can see, I've changed only server_timeout, and that without
knowing the impact it's gonna have, since I have just installed
imapProxy and had not the time to play with it. So if anyone has a
suggestion on what to put in the above based on  my scale, it would be
great. Although after I read all your replies I tend to think that for
such a minimal installation like mine imapProxy would be unnecessary.
Am I wrong?

Greg