[sork] Re: Passwd/Expect patches

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:12:37 PST 2003

Quoting Jeroen Huinink <j.huinink at wanadoo.nl>:

> > Yikes!  You uncovered a hornet's nest.  I'll fix it all later today and
> > generate new Release Candidates.
>
> I haven't been following discussion or development on sork. I wasn't even
> aware that RELENG_2 was only a release candidate?

Well, RELENG_2 just happens to be a release candidate, but that is just
a coincidence.

> Did I stumble into a
> touchy subject?

No, you just unconvered a much bigger problem than you thought.

> Why do you feel it's a hornet's nest?

When I looked at your problem, I found lots of similar bugs in various
backends.  It turned out to not be too hard to fix.  But you sure did
uncover some serious problems with the code base.

> Now that we're talking: are there any plans on putting support for password
> expiration and expiration reminders into horde/sork?

Probably not into sork.  This might maybe make more sense for some backends
(like sql) but for the most part this should be handled by the actual program
(poppassd, etc).  So it might be something we could put into different
backends, but not do en mass.

The exception would be if we wanted to put this support into the api, and
then be able to use it e.g. in the summary page or in the accounts module
summary page.  I'll consider that, or any feedback on that idea.  But my
guess is that this would be rather expensive (time wise) and not something
we want to do at every login or page display.

This might be something that could go into Horde, but then you want to
post this to a different mailing list for comments.