[sork] expect and passwd

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 19 18:08:14 PST 2003

Quoting lody at great2cu.net:

> I have tried passwd with expect, but received a message:
>
> Failure in changing password : Could not login to system (no password prompt)

Probably just not finding your password prompt because it is different from
other systems?  Most likely...  Could be something else, but probably just
a prompt matching problem.

You will need to edit passwd/scripts/passwd_expect to match your prompts.
The problem with expect scripts is that it looks for patterns in prmompts
and outputs, but those change between systems...

>From the INSTALL file (cvs at least):

This code allows users to change their passwords via an expect script.
Requires the expect program and a telnet or ssh program.  You may need
to change some of the expect patterns in scripts/passwd_expect such
as the badpassword_string or success_string (as only two examples).

> I tried to change the smb password with the smbpasswd backend, which was
> succesfull.

Is there a reason you don't just use that instead of expect then?

> Is this a know problem, or how do I start debugging?

Not a known bug, but perhaps a known problem....