[sork] Questions about CVS and Updating

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 6 23:22:55 PST 2003

Quoting John Schneider <john.schneider at daumcommercial.com>:

> I want to use CVS to update my SORK scripts (and IMP and HORDE)... Can CVS

Okay.  Make sure you understand the different branches before you start,
so you don't mix versions.

> update my working scripts even though they have my configuration values in
> them.

Yes.  It will update everything, but not overwrite you configuration.
You will then need to manual upgade your configuration files if any
changes are needed.

> Or do I have to use CVS to download scripts to a different directory
> and then go through them to make sure I copy my config settings from the
> current scripts to the d/l'ed scripts before moving them into the working
> directories?

No.  You don't need to do this (though you could).

> If I must always copy my config settings into the new scripts,
> is there an easy or automatic way to do this?

You don't need to.  There are scripts to help you update your configuration
files for the non-HEAD branch and for Horde itself.  I don't recommend
them, but others swear by them.  With most HEAD branched apps, the config
files are done via an administrative interface, so there is no real issue
for that case.