[sork] sqlprocmail forwards driver (1)

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 8 12:37:22 PDT 2003

Quoting Carlos Alberto Barcenilla <barce at dearriba.com>:

>    The e-mail server (IMAP/procmail) runs in a different box than horde
> and it has no ftp access. I could used .forward instead of procmail

And you don't want to enable ftp/nfs/smb/etc?

> files, I chose procmail because it has more features than .forward and
> I'm planning to integrate "forwards" and "vacation" in the same procmail
> file.

Several people wanted a procmail driver, and at least one has attempted
it before but it was never commited as it wasn't a clean design.  I've
always meant to try to clean it up, but never found the time.

>     In addition having all of the data centralized in a database server
> improves manageability, in my opinion, I find simpler as an admin to
> update a database table than touching/viewing files with vi or cat. In
> fact having the sql table I could integrate it with my user
> administration applications, so the support personnel could easily
> "solve" user's problems like "I'm  not receiveing e-mail" and answers
> like "fool! you had redirected your mailbox!" without having root
> accounts to view .forward files in home directories.

But if the file gets deleted, or changed, and the database doesn't, then
you have a sync problem...

>     What CVS branch should my updates be based on? Now I'm using
> RELENG_2, am I right?

Should be HEAD if possible.  If not possible, I'll *usually* take RELENG
versions and recode them as HEAD also...