[sork] set forwarding via scp?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 26 21:46:42 PDT 2003

Quoting Markus Krause <krause at biochem.mpg.de>:

> > Right now there is no stock solution.  In the future, I'd like to add ssl
> > enabled ftp, but since this is new in PHP 4.3.x, and many people are not
> > running that yet, it is low priority right now.
> this i'd like very much! (but i know i can not change the priority ;-) )

You say below that you don't want an ftp server installed on the imap
server.  Using ssl-enabled ftp does not get around this.  You still
have to install the ssl-enabled ftp server on the imap server, AFAIK.

But, at least you have everything encrypted in transit.

> > You could of course use an ssh or stunnel to tunnel the info between the
> > machines.
> we thought of that too, but for this we have to install an ftp-server on
> the imap-machine (well, see above)

Yes, but even with ssl-ftp you need this, no?

> > See above, and let me know if you need help.  Can't help though until
> > you decide on how you want to proceed.
> as written above i like the idea of ssl_ftp very much

If you want, I'll try to help you update the module to support this.
But you'll have to help...  I don't have time right now to do it myself.

> i tried the sftp
> client of then openssh packet and it uses port 22 (well, actually not
> very surprising ;-) ), which should be no problem for our security
> concerned network admins.

That isn't the same thing.  That is just an ssh process.  You might be
able to write an ssh/scp/sftp driver, but that is different than ssl-ftp.

> of course i could just change the parts in ftp.php to ftp_ssl_connect
> but that would be lost after the next update (and would be no use for
> you and the horde project).

Well, if you change it, and it works, and you submit the patch, I'll apply
it to the code, and it won't get lost.

> as mentioned i am not a php expert (at least
> if it comes to classes, i have only programmed the "classic way" in php
> but i am willing to learn it) and even after browsing through the code
> of horde i have not yet fully understood the philosophy/class layout

I'm willing to help here.   If you need help, sign up for the dev mailing
list and I'm sure people will help you there also.

> (although it seems very thoroughly planned but therefor for a newbie
> like me difficult to understand) but if you could spend some time and
> point me the the files i have to understand/modify (and maybe there is a
> map of the classe anywhere?) i will try do it myself and of course share
> it if i have success!

Sounds great.  But first you have to decide on what you want to do.  Do
you want to switch to ssl-ftp, or try to use ssh, or some other option.
Only for forwards, or also vacation?  Once you decide what you want to
do, I'll try to help out as much as I can.