[sork] passwd: using multiple backends simultaneously

René Lund Jensen lundeman at tbkol.dk
Mon Jun 2 08:18:49 PDT 2003

> I am implementing an LDAP server which stores users unix passwords as
> well as LANmanager and NT passwords.  My hope is to use the horde passwd
> module to keep these in sync.  For example, when a user changes their
> password all three LDAP attributes get updated at the same time.

Syncronising passwords is always a pain...
Thats why I ended up writing the smbpasswd driver in the first place.
Here we store userpasswords in samba only, and then via PAM_SMB have PAM
authenticating against Samba. almost anything can authenticate against
PAM, so this way users only have to chage their samba password.
(which they can do via windows also if they are logged onto the domain
using samba as PDC.)

René Jensen