[sork] passwd: using multiple backends simultaneously

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 2 11:02:57 PDT 2003

Quoting Jared <redjar at redjar.org>:

> Hello.  Forgive me if this has been covered already.  I've read the
> passwd module docs and tried to search the sork mailing list archives
> but haven't found an answer to my question.

It has been discussed, but never implemented.

> I'm wondering if it's already possible or if someone can tell me how to
> hack a way to use more than one passwd module backend at once, or
> stated another way, "chain" them together so both backends are called
> at the same time.

Not yet.  What you want is a composite driver.  While Horde has such a
beast, passwd does not yet.

You can use multiple backends 1 per realm, but not multiple backends per
realm (composite) yet.

> I am implementing an LDAP server which stores users unix passwords as
> well as LANmanager and NT passwords.  My hope is to use the horde
> passwd module to keep these in sync.  For example, when a user changes
> their password all three LDAP attributes get updated at the same time.

If you can do that all in ldap, then it would be a fairly trivial
change to the ldap driver to accomplish it.  (The composite driver
would be needed if the 3 were actually stored in 3 seperate locations
rather than all in the same ldap directory).

> I've got horde passwd to change the userPassword field using the LDAP
> backend, and I've also got it to change the lmPassword and ntPassword
> fields on the LDAP database using the smbpasswd backend.  However, only
> one backend is used at a time, which requires the user to go through
> the process twice.  Once with the LDAP backend selected, and then again
> with the smbpasswd backend selected.

Yes.  That's the only supported method at this time.

> Has someone already done this?  Or is there a somewhat simple way to
> modify the passwd module to do this?

No one has yet coded a composite driver.  In your case, you could probably
come up with a more trivial change to the ldap driver, but your millage
may vary...