[sork] LDAP configuration in Accounts and Passwd

Jeffrey Seifert seifert at everybody.org
Tue Jun 3 15:26:35 PDT 2003

I've been taking a look at the Accounts module and thinking about
polishing it up a bit, in particular the LDAP driver.  After playing
with it some, I've come to realize that Passwd already has a very good
LDAP driver, with support for numerous hooks and other good stuff.

I'd like to migrate some of this code into the Accounts module, but
wonder if cut-and-paste is really the right way to go here.  It
*feels* like there should be some common code here for handling the
LDAP connection, but then you'd have one module depending on another
or possibly an even bigger mess than I originally want.

So my question is: should I try to mimic the LDAP support that passwd
has into the Accounts module, or figure out some elegant way to share
the code here?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff Seifert