[sork] LDAP configuration in Accounts and Passwd

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 4 13:00:25 PDT 2003

Quoting Jeffrey Seifert <seifert at everybody.org>:

> I've been taking a look at the Accounts module and thinking about
> polishing it up a bit, in particular the LDAP driver.

Please do!  I wrote that ldap support, and I have no clue what I'm doing,
so any help would be great!  I don't run ldap here, so my work is suspect
at best...

Yes.  Other people wrote that code. :)

> I'd like to migrate some of this code into the Accounts module, but
> wonder if cut-and-paste is really the right way to go here.  It
> *feels* like there should be some common code here for handling the
> LDAP connection, but then you'd have one module depending on another
> or possibly an even bigger mess than I originally want.

You either need to copy the code between the modules, or you need to move
the code to Horde (assuming it doesn't already exist in Horde).  All
modules depend on Horde, so it isn't a problem to share code with Horde.

(Sometimes there is a third possibility, like api calls, but that doesn't
seem to apply here).

> So my question is: should I try to mimic the LDAP support that passwd
> has into the Accounts module, or figure out some elegant way to share
> the code here?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Either copy/paste it, or find a way to migrate it to Horde and then
have passwd/accounts use the Horde code.  Which ever you think is easier/best.