[sork] passwd doesn't change passwords

Yu Wang ywang at unf.edu
Sun Sep 21 08:34:26 PDT 2003

Paul,

I configured the password using Expect option. It works after I modified
several things from default installation. Since you didn't show your
configurations, I can just suggest you to check several places for the Expect.

My expect uses SSH to connect users to a different server since the server
running Horde doesn't allow general users login.

Check the config/backends.php. Here is mine:
$backends['expect'] = array(
    'name' => 'User Server',
    'preferred' => '',
    'password policy' => array(
        'minLength' => '7',
        'maxLength' => '9',
        'minNumeric'=> '1',
        'minAlpha' => '1'
    ),
    'driver' => 'expect',
    'params' => array(
        'program' => '/usr/bin/expect',
        'script' => 'scripts/passwd_expect',
        'params' => '-ssh -host userserver.unf.edu -output /tmp/passwd.log'
    )
);

Then modify scripts/passwd_expect

}elseif {[string match $login "ssh"]} {
   set pid [spawn ssh $host -l $user]
}

and turn on log:
log_user 1
this will log all things into /tmp/passwd.log

Then you can use "tail -f /tmp/passwd.log" and run the password program to see
where is the problem that cause the failure. It may because the key
verification prompt or terminal type prompt or even login shell prompt. You
need to modify the Expect script to fit those prompts.

You may also want to change the timeout value to a shorter one. The default
timeout 20 is kind too long.

Finally, do you have any rewrite rules turned on? A broken rewrite rule in
Apache can cause the program redirected to login page.

Hope this helps you pin the problem.

--
Yu Wang
Information Technology Services